Wednesday, April 7, 2010

ambition

I have a confession to make . I do not have an ambition. I say that coz my belief system says the minute you have an ambition , you are focussing on the 'end' and the journey takes a back seat.
And what happens when the journey is not the focus, only the end is...you are in a hurry to get there ....where to? ...the end , of course. You are not in the 'now' , you are concerened about the road, the vehicle , the milestones , the implicit comparison between achievement and the goal etc. etc.
A perfect recipe to get anxious,suffer heartburn and, even when you get there , you will not be there coz , now a new ambition surfaces. I know this sounds cliched ....'stop n smell the roses' types. The point is that there is really nothing to aim outside of yourself. I gather experiences, add to my learning, enjoy my relationships, sit back and do the things that I find satisfaction in , am in tune with my body, in equal awe of nature, beauty and science and am slow ....slow ...watching life go by , both as an observor and as a particpant

4 comments:

  1. I agree and disagree. If you have the means to just be and enjoy and be in tune with ur inner self then super -more power to you.

    For those millions who don't have the means to just sit by, who slog, compete, are in overdrive to make ends meet - would this still be about 'ambition'- because once you are in the competitive world- the race overtakes, then it is about survival and staying ahead, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mee, that is not exactly what I meant ...i meant that in pursuing our 'goals' we lose focus on the now and a lot depends on how you define the goal itself..can 'I want to be a doctor' be a goal??...living life in itself is the goal ...did Columbus , Einstein, Speilberg mention their achievements as goals earlier on in life?..engage in life conciously and the rest happens as a corollary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I got it PP:) Was trying to see would the ones whose lives are a daily struggle to earn their dal roti on an everyday basis agree to this philosophy- perhaps- perhaps not...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mee,consider the following:
    -the above stated is my personal philosophy and not the universal truth, each is entitled to his own
    - it is okay to be in the race and struggle for survival and not consider other 'so called/pseudo at times' motives,the choice goes with its own set of consequences
    - you can be a home maker and still be in the 'race'...and you can be a CEO and still be out of the 'race' ...look around you and you will examples of both ...it will boil down to your relation with your work/goals and with yourself at the end ...let me know

    ReplyDelete