Friday, June 4, 2010

On death

I for one cannot understand why death is associated with fear.I do not seem to get the connection at all . I can empathise with the emotion of grief for the death of a loved one ...an irrevocable, permanent void, never to be filled and that leaves one paralysed for a while...but fear? where does that stem from ..is it for one's own death? Is it for the process of dying?or is annihilation a daunting prospect?

Is the lack of acceptance for this inevitable event the underlying reason? ... to my mind it is simple ...what is born must die , anything alive , breakable , exhaustable is limited in its existence ...at least in the form that we recognise...then what is the fear about?
I was born, I must die,just like a tumbler of glass which shatters one day.... what is so difficult to comprehend?
Are some of us under the delusion that since we are 'superior'in some way...materialistically, spiritually, we will be exempt from this? We go to great lengths to prolong life,avoid disease and then what do we do with the extra years? How many years and experiences are enough? When can I say I am done ...ready?

3 comments:

  1. the fear stems from not being there nomore one day- to enjoy ones possessions, ones family, ones children, ones riches and glory and what not- those fools who fear death - do not realize all these material attachments are transitory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mee, the material attachments may not be transitory, they may live well beyond our life if not squandered away,we are transitory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes true. I meant to say because we leave it all behind -they dont make the after death journey with us- hence they being transitory. You are right!

    ReplyDelete